Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Bared to You" By: Sylvia Day Review

Bared to You (Crossfire, #1)
Bared to You
By: Sylvia Day

Synopsis from Goodreads
Our journey began in fire... Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness-beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily... Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires. The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...
My Thoughts
    Most of my friends online and in person have already read this book by now and I felt like the odd kid out, so I decided to pick it up. Bared to You languished in my Nook library for a couple of months until I saw its sequel was getting ready to come out. Deciding to finally jump on the bandwagon, I am still a little in awe of everything that Sylvia Day has done with this seemingly simple story. Wowzas!
     Eva meets Gideon on her first day of work at a marketing firm. Eva has just come from California, fresh with a college degree and is excited to be living in New York City. Stumbling in the lobby, Eva finds herself facing an imposing figure and the owner of the building; a millionaire named Gideon Cross.
“He was the kind of guy that made a woman want to rip his shirt open and watch the buttons scatter along with her inhibitions.”
    Eva and Gideon almost immediately begin a severe codependency. Both with horrific pasts, they are drawn to one another and see the truths behind one anothers veneers. They both come from fairly affluent backgrounds and have many similar interests but their actual histories rear up and cause problems.
“Oh, Eva." He rubbed his cheek against my damp face. "I must've wished for you so hard and so often you had no choice but to come true.”
     Its a different sort of novel that I have a hard time saying if I loved it or not. Without a doubt the writing is intense and incredibly emotional, yet at times I felt it was perhaps a bit too emotional. But I’ve gotta hand it to the author, the writing becomes almost addictive and you have just got to find out what happens next.
“It's not the right word, Eva," he pressed on stubbornly, his lips at my ear. "That's why I haven't said it. It's not the right word for you and what I feel for you."
"Shut up. If you care about me at all, you'll just shut up and go away."
"I've been loved before--by Corinne, by other women...But what the hell do they know about me? What the hell are they in love with when they don't know how fucked up I am? If that's love, it's nothing compared to what I feel for you.”
   Bared to You is an intense read. Gideon and Eva are passionately attracted to one another and while at times it is romantic, other times their codependency made me angry. I felt the actions of the characters were often highly implausible, I was addicted to finding out what happened. So addicted in fact, that while I was still deciding whether I even liked Eva OR Gideon, I bought the sequel Reflected in You.


Book Details
Publisher: Penguin
Date of Publication: April 3, 2012
# of Pages: 360
ISBN: 9780985114602

4 comments:

  1. I love your review, really good! I haven't read the book and am not sure I will. It's great that you enjoyed it so much. Sometimes hyped books do disappoint - and sometimes they are hyped because they really ARE good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd decided not to read this one as most reviews I've seen mentioned they enjoyed 50 Shades of Grey more. Now I've read your review I'm leaning towards picking it up ... great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and totally agree with the implausibility of the characters. Some of the storyline just makes me want to scream out loud! However very addictive and have to say for the benefit of Teddyree that this book has definitely exceeded all expectations set from 50 Shades as that could be called tame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my TBR list, it is also on Goodreads voting for this year, great stuff.

    I look forward to trying it after your review, exciting.

    ReplyDelete